Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I am not slack, I am warm and fuzzy

My son has been back to school for a week now.  Unlike previous years, I did not send any information to school.  I did not contact the principal. I sent my son's supplies to school with him and planned to send out a detailed email to all of his teachers within the coming days. 

I am not a slacker who no longer cares about her son because he is now technically in high school. Its simply the fact that the majority of his teachers have had him at one point over the past two years and have been sent my information before.  There are also now two children with diabetes in his school.  This means that they bring in a nurse at the beginning of the year and "educate" the school.  I know that this is contrary to everything I tell people.  I preach that you should be in on these meetings and I still feel that way but again, these teachers have been educated by me for a number of years so I don't feel like being overly pushy on this issue.  

I also now have two other fall backs in case of emergency this year.  A teacher that my son had at his former school (who taught my son for three years and was AMAZING with his diabetes care) is now teaching a lower grade in my son's new school.  My son also has a teacher (that he has had in the past) who's husband has Type 1 diabetes, is more than willing to be there in any emergency and will handle things like glucagon if need be.  I love these people!! They allow me that warm fuzzy feeling of knowing that my son is safe at school. 

It was therefore somewhat surprising when my son handed me a folder that I had created two years ago and said "My teacher says that this needs to be updated by my doctor."  I looked at him like he was nuts.  

"Your doctor?" 

"Yeah, that's what he said and can you fix that picture of me? I look like a complete dork!"

I shook my head and took the folder.  I was glad that previous homeroom teachers had seen fit to pass the "red folder" on to the next year's homeroom teacher.  The picture was a little dated but based on the fact that the folder contained information on my son with notes to contact me, my name and my cell phone number along with basic facts about diabetes care, diabetes, highs and lows, and insulin pump use, I am thinking that the teacher did not take the time to actually "read" what he was given. 

Either way, I will update the information...and the picture.  I will get myself in gear and make sure I contact all of his teachers once again to let them know our basic diabetes care rules--testing in class, access to the washroom and water, as well as testing to know that he is in range and firing on all cylinders before exams.  

Its good to know that they are still taking diabetes seriously because sadly it does not "improve" with age the issues simply change a little. 
I am guessing that this won't be his first choice for replacement photo either :)


No comments:

Post a Comment