Monday, March 25, 2013

Sleep? Sleep? Where are you???

Friday morning I woke to my phone ringing a half an hour before I had to get up.  That is just plain cruel, unless of course the recorded voice is telling you that there is no school and you get to continue to sleep.  In that case, its a welcome distraction! I turned off my alarm, rolled over and planned to enjoy an early long weekend.

I got my sleep Friday but it had to last me for the rest of the weekend because diabetes was not going to play nice.  My son had been running a little high at around 2-3am.  I was considering making a change but was going to give it one more night to be sure.  

Friday night he was his usual teen self and up until 1 or 2am.  He tests before he goes to bed so I continued to doze until something woke me at 4:00am.  I stumbled to his room, found his meter and checked.  He was 5.0 (90).  Such a perfect number--NOT.  I hate 5. I never know if he will stay there or drop.  It gives me panic attacks.  It is not clear cut. Its a fuzzy number that requires me to stay awake and find an answer. At 4:30 I had my answer...he was dropping.  I grabbed a bottle of Liquiblast, had him drink it and waited.  All was fine except for the fact that I had now been awake for an hour and sleep was not going to return to me any time soon.

Luckily it was Saturday so again, I was able to laze in bed a little longer between blood glucose tests.  Saturday was a beautiful day so my son took advantage of it and went for a bike ride with friends.  To counteract the effect of all of that activity, I had a Dairy Queen craving that had to be satisfied!  We headed out for some late night ice-cream.  I then dropped his basal rates for that time period. He was bound to be higher after all of that.

Wrong!  I again found myself awake after 4am.  My son had tested at 2am and was fine but at 4am he was dropping once again.  I grabbed the Liquiblast, he drank, I went to bed to read.  I retested.  He was lower still. Repeat previous performance...more Liquiblast, more reading, no sleep.  After two bottles of fast acting glucose, a temporary basal reduction, and a basal rate change, by 6am I was finally able to go back to bed and try to sleep .  Once again, I was grateful to be able to sleep in the next morning.

Unfortunately my mind and body did not agree on when to get up on Sunday morning.  By 8:30 I gave in and got up.  My son's readings continued to be lovely all day.  At 9pm he once decided to begin working out.  I have asked him to do this earlier but he doesn't listen. I asked if he tested? No, but he did proceed to test in front of me before continuing to exercise.  I asked if he had put on a temporary basal to account for the increased activity.  Again, the answer was no but he set one as we talked. 

Sunday night he was high.  Back to the drawing board! One clue may be the container of chocolate milk that he forgot to bolus for after reducing his basal rate.  We will see what tonight brings but in the meantime we both continue to learn...and catch sleep when I can! 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment