Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Changing of Roles

Today is the first day of school.  My son is starting grade 11 in a new school.
 
For the first time since he has been in school, I will not be sending a diabetes information package to school. I will not be emailing each teacher and giving them a heads up on what to expect. This year, my son has decided that he needs to take charge of his life and his diabetes care.
 
I am nervous…this is a step up from the pure terror that racked my body when he first told me of his decision.
 
This school is not unfamiliar with diabetes.  They had a student a few years prior who had diabetes as well.  The community knows of his condition so it will not be something new for his fellow classmates.
 
I will not however, be going in and asking that they know about Glucagon or finding a person who will be trained to use it. I will not be taking each teacher aside and drilling into them as much information as possible.  I will not be sending my usual package of information.  This is all for my son to share. It is up to him what he says or does not say.
 
I am confident that my son “can” take care of himself.  I have been training him for years.  He has shown in the past that he can’t always be bothered to do this but he swears that a magic wand has been waved over him and he has changed. I don’t believe this but I have to let him try no matter what. This is the hardest part of being a parent. Its like watching them learn to walk all over again but this time you can’t pad the furniture and make sure that they land on carpet.  You can only watch, pray, and hope for the best.
 
I will contact the school and remind them of my contact information. I will tell them that if they have any further questions about anything including diabetes that I am available.  That will be where it starts and ends.
 
Young adulthood arrived in our lives sooner than expected.  Its now time to adjust to the new roles and be there when I am needed only.This is going to be a tough road! first steps

No comments:

Post a Comment